Sunday, May 20, 2012

Let's Be Spontaneous!

On Wednesday I decided to be spontaneous.
I saw The Pinker Tones, a cool electronica pop duo from Barcelona, at the El Rey Theatre with my friend Carlie -- though we had planned to hang out, we decided to check out the band on a whim since I scored free tickets.
We weren't sure what to expect upon entering the stunning art deco theatre that was pretty empty, but we got white wine and decided to hey, just go with it. The opening band took the stage with gusto and rocked out with fiesty pop songs that recalled David Bowie and fun, playful '80s tunes.
The Pinker Tones took the stage about 10 PM and slipped behind a huge white table that held iPads and techy devices to help them guide the energizing dance music from one song to the next. And there we were, dancing on the front lines.
Thank god I didn't lose my voice, as we became fans in a matter of minutes and expressed our vocal appreciation each time one cool dance song gave way to another.
It was a fabulous way to end a Wednesday -- and a wise note to self that I seek to expect the unexpected!
The Pinker Tones live at the El Rey Theatre