Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Like Your Style, PDC

I hopped over to the Pacific Design Center for a cocktail party during Westweek, the center's fancy interior design and furniture industry event that happens in March.

The Ralph Pucci party unfolded in his showroom with bright white walls and a cool mix of sleek furniture and big-wow art and sculptures. A friend who manages another impressive, modern showroom invited me, and if I didn't know any better, I would have sworn I was at an art party in New York.

Observation #1: This design crowd does not mess around when it comes to chic and daring, even sometimes puzzling, dressing.

Suit cuts and shirt patterns say loads about a man's aesthetic tastes, and a bold necklace can be a roaming piece of art. Me? I threw on colbalt blue tights with a gold dress and figured my color-blocking was a tad design-y.

Observation #2: I appreciate how this crowd takes pleasure in itsy-bitsy things that may seem insignificant to most -- the poetic curve of this table, the lushness of that midnight blue velvet, the irony of that painting. Life's more enjoyable when you seek and appreciate the pleasures all around you.

Observation #3: If a seemingly plain beige rug is laying on the ground in one of these showrooms, don't step on it. It's actually a vertically-challenged piece of art and likely costs $15k plus. Shoe marks aren't desirable here!

PDC, I like your style. I will be back!

* The dramatic entrance

* Retro-cool entrance lights. Yes, please!

* These chairs are fab!