Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Mad Ones

I'm reading "On The Road," that classic Beat Generation novel by Jack Kerouac. I tried it some years ago, but got only about 100 pages in. I wasn't quite feeling it, even though I really, really wanted to like it.

It's good to keep an open mind, so I'm giving it another go. Here's a fabulous outtake:

"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles..."

This time around, there's even an iPad app for the book that launched in June as one of Apple's most popular book apps -- maybe I should invest in a little tech upgrade to go along with my dog-eared pages?