Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hall & Oates at The Hollywood Bowl

My Fourth of July rocked -- I boogied to Hall & Oates at the Hollywood Bowl, then enjoyed the live orchestra medley and fireworks show.

Hall & Oates impressed me with how good, how spirited they sounded live. They played most of the real big hits, some backed by the orchestra -- starting with Maneater and including Out of Sight, She's Gone, Rich Girl, I Can't Go For That, and on and on. The live versions often started slow and soulful only to speed up to big, funky beats and the famous choruses. During some parts, the music sounded like Earth, Wind and Fire.

The motley crowd at this gorgeous, open air theater tucked in the Hollywood Hills was into it. I was singing (loudly) and dancing, too. When Hall & Oates returned to the stage and played Private Eyes for the encore, there was some mad hand clapping at all the right spots.

Thank goodness summer's just getting started.