Wednesday, April 18, 2012

NPR Reports: Free Education!

I was en route to work this morning, about 7:50 AM, when I heard brilliant news on the radio: NPR reported a Silicon Valley start-up called Coursera will introduce FREE online classes from top U.S. universities for enrollment by anyone around the world.

This awesomeness kicks off in the fall.

The concept began in 2011 when computer science professors at Stanford decided to open some online classes to the world. More than 100,000 people signed up for a free machine learning class online, and ta-da!

I can't wait to see the class roster -- I hear the selection will be diverse, going way beyond techy stuff and even venturing into poetry. Classes will be interactive and you'll walk away with a grade.

Click here to read the full story. I'm already daydreaming about what I may want to learn -- Egyptian hieroglyphics, creative writing, a dive into Shakespeare, China then vs. now, philosophy 101, the secret life of bees...