Saturday, September 3, 2011

Janet!

When I heard Janet Jackson was playing L.A., I knew I had to see her live.

Janet and I go way back -- I grew up wearing out her songs on cassette tapes, my black boom box and the CD player, all well before today's iPod. Friends and I tried to master her funky "If" dance, and my dance team tryout routine in middle school had a cool breakdown of "That's The Way Love Goes." Her music videos? Legendary.

This week's concert at the outdoor Greek Theater lived up to the hype.

Janet gave a show-stopping performance of hits from then to now, across two electric hours. My friend Molly and I went back to the '80s with songs like "Let's Wait Awhile" and one of my favorites, "When I Think of You," and jammed out to "Escapade" and "All For You" and everything in between.

She's still got the iconic moves, the smile. She made us boogie down and tear up during poignant moments like the final song, "Together Again," which was dedicated to Michael Jackson and saw photos of the famous two dominate stage screens.

What a party it was!


One of my favorite Janet looks -- from the "Love Will Never Do" music video